Thursday, February 13, 2014

IT'S A MATTER OF HEALTH, PART 2

December 24, 2013


February 11, 2014

Last week I exposed the sad state of my feet. This week it's my hands. They're marginally better in that I haven't lost a fingernail (YES!!! Let's be thankful for small miracles!); however, they currently look like WHO DUNNIT AND WHAT FOR?!?!?!?

So here's what happened. I, because I have very long fingers, am of the impression that my hands look best with long nails. I don't think it takes a genius to agree with me. My natural nails will never grow above the tip of my finger, let alone produce ten long nails of the same length.  I also happen to prefer press-on nails to acrylics because they look infinitely more natural (that's my freshly done hand in the first picture). For the past year, I have pretty much kept my natural nails covered. I would soak the press-ons off a couple of hours before my nail appointment-- sometimes a half-hour -- and go apply a new set. Now here's where the problem really began. On the box, it cautions you to remove them 7-10 days after application. I, however,  would get just a tad lazy, and would keep them on 2-3 weeks. Again, I had told my nail tech that I felt I should have gaps between applications so that my natural nails could breathe. She said, "WHY???? Your hands are so beautiful with them. Keep them on." And I did. Ultimately, I developed a fungus under each nail (it's clearly visible under my right index finger); my left pinky nail cracked all the way across from the trauma of being covered; my right middle finger has always had a lengthwise crack, and it was exacerbated by the lack of oxygen; and all ten nails were extremely weak and thin. Once my big toenails detached, though, I decided it was time to deal with the health of all nails on both feet and hands.

This is going to be a long road to recovery. Will I throw on a set of nails for a couple of days to attend an event or go to a party??? ABSOLUTELY!!! Just as I'm going to paint my nailbed when the time comes. But these are temporary measures to soothe my vain ego  on occasion; and in the interim, the only covering on my nails will be Nailtiques and a fungicide. Long-term, my nails will no longer bare the brunt of my desire to look good.  

If any of you have a similar issue, please see our FEETOLOGY page on foot care for remedy options.


No comments:

Post a Comment